I think being a versatile blogger can spring from living a “versatile” life — one full of change and adventure. I also think most people lead versatile lives — we can’t help it: growing up is change, life itself has so many facets.
Here are 5 random tidbits from mine:
1. Before I turned four years old and my parents divorced, I remember spending a lot of time in the backstage of a theater in Siberia where both my parents worked. I remember painted faces of actors and the glitter on their costumes. I remember the tobacco smoke so thick it hung over their dressing rooms like a curtain. I watched the same performances over and over, and like reading a good book, took pleasure in them every single time. I also loved being the actors’ adored little baby doll and as a teenager dreamed of becoming an actress myself.
2. At age fourteen, I sang and played on the piano an interpretation of Gershwin’s “Summertime” on Russian television.
3. Graduating from a New Jersey high school, my good grades were marred by one “C:” in creative writing! (The teacher couldn’t stand me. To be fair, I was probably quite a pain the butt.)
4. I married my husband at the age of 18 (almost 19) and had my first child at the age of 21. Many people made snide remarks, thought we got married because of a baby, told me point-blank they were sure it wouldn’t last. One woman confessed to me she was surprised to see me take such a great care of my baby son — it wasn’t what she expected. My husband and I have been married for almost 15 years now.
5. When my husband first took me to France as a young wife to meet his family, I was frustrated with having to sit at a dinner table with my new relatives, often not understanding a single word. When I returned home, I enrolled in French classes in college. When we came back to France a year later, I surprised everyone by speaking French!
These were more like memories than tidbits — sorry about their length! If you were looking for truly random, bite-sized stuff, here are a few more: I am afraid of moths, I still dream of flying many nights the way kids often do, I wake up every morning at 5:30 a.m., except on Saturdays to work on my writing, I love forces of nature, such as the mountains and the sea, I sometimes forget words in Russian — or I might remember individual words, but not how to string them together gracefully, but that’s okay, because English is my true language love.
Okay, that was way more than 5 tidbits. I hope that’s okay!
Next week comes the best part: presenting the versatile blogger award to others. Get ready to discover some awesome new blogs!